Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This is real life!

What a whirlwind of a trip this has been! From Seattle to Atlanta to Chicago to Madrid to Seville...I have arrived at last! The 8 hour flight, 4 hour layover, and 2 and half hour train ride from Chicago to Seville (not to mention a 9 hour time zone difference from home), consisted of zero sleep for this girl so it was a wonderful feeling to finally get in bed and pass out for the night. This of course did not happen until after my host mom took me and my roommate on a walking tour of the city, picked up her granddaughter from dance class and I took a shower that was so cold it gave me a brain freeze...all to find out there really is hot water, it just takes some tinkering and waiting for it to come. Thankfully I have hope for a better experience next time!

This morning started with the traditional Spanish breakfast of toast with marmelada and tea. From there our señora (our host mom) to my roommate and I to the hotel where we had orientation and placement exams and got the first days worth of important information, exciting things this semester holds, and of course the do's and don'ts of Sevilla. Four of us girls were actually able to find our way home too as our señora assumed we would remember our way back but...not quite yet. It was so fun to explore the city a bit and come to the realization that this is home now!

Today we also experienced our first Spanish "siesta," which is a 3 hour break in the middle of the day where everything closes and the city eats lunch around 2:30pm or 3 and then basically either take a nap or just stay home and relax. I could get used to this kind of pace of life.
Tonight was amazing as we were given tours by Spaniards in small groups where we saw all the amazing sites that make Sevilla truly an amazing city that I am so excited to call home for the next 4 months.


Nuestro cuarto! (our room)
Jana & Kelly in La Universidad de Sevilla


Hotel Alfonso...so fancy Madonna has stayed here.

La Catedral....a picture just doesn't do its grandeur justice.

Me and Kelly (my roommate) enjoying our first of many gelatos to come!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So excited you made it! Keep the pictures coming. :) We love you! Steph, Nick and Collin!

    ReplyDelete