Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Poco a poco...

It has been exactly one week since we landed in Spain, weary of our travels and definitely lacking sleep but not enthusiasm! It is still so crazy to look up from my homework to see the beautiful buildings of downtown Sevilla while enjoying a cafe con leche in the warm winter sun. Sure makes doing homework a tad bit more interesting... ;) We have already done so much-from scavenger hunts all over this beautiful city, going out for tapas or meriendas, to watching flamenco...it has been quite the adventure already! There is so much to take in that it can be difficult to process or explain all the emotions and thoughts I am having during this transition. At times it can be so invigorating to experience and see so much and other times a bit more difficult. It is challenging to identify one's identity when all of your surroundings drastically change. Though I have the knowledge that yes, I am American and will probably stand out as one all the time here, I still so long to become a Spaniard just for this little moment in time.

"Poco a poco" or "little by little,"as my señora says. 
She says this whenever she teaches us something new about how she runs the house, new phrases that we learn, etc. And really, that is exactly how this last week has gone as far as immersing myself in a completely new way of life. It takes time and all I want do is dive in and already have my local friends and be speaking Spanish like crazy. Alas, that will come with time and definitely some work. But as God is reminding me, my identity above all else remains in Him. American or Spaniard wanna-be put aside, I am merely a follower of His and as one, I am commanded to walk in love.


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."-Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment