Sunday, February 3, 2013

Recapping time

For those of you that follow my pictures on Facebook (if not, go check them out!), you can probably see that I have been quite busy these last few weeks!
Just like at George Fox, I got involved with helping lead worship for our program's Wednesday night Bible study, "Encuentro." Worship has always been my outlet and best manner for me to sit in God's presence. It was therefore very special for me to have the opportunity to do so here in Spain as well, brought me a little piece of joy from home. It felt amazing to be able to worship God via both English and Spanish songs. I also had the privilege of attending a Spanish church last sunday which was also an awesome new experience. I am sure we were quite the sight to see as this small congregation sat with wide eyed stares at the fact that about 15 American girls were now making up about a quarter of their congregation. After about an hour and a half of worship, scripture reading, and what I thought was a short message, the real message began....haha. We definitely arrived home hours later than our señora's half hour Catholic mass.
 "...from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb."-Revelation 7:9

On Thursday night, all the girls in the program (a.k.a the three boys didn't come) had a girl's night out on the town for some churros and chocolate-these things are AMAZING. I have guiltily already had them about 5 times now...what can I say, when in Sevilla! We then went on top of Las Setas to have a view of the entire city beneath the setting sun. It was absolutely incredible. It still blows my mind how beautiful this city is with amazing architecture that is centuries old...and it's all basically in my "backyard," just a short walk away.
Noche de Chicas

View of the city from Las Setas!
Sunset 
Once again, referring back to my Facebook pictures, you may have noticed that on Friday we took a 2 hour bus ride to Córdoba for the day to visit La Mesquita-a cathedral turned mosque, turned cathedral again. All that to say, it has some of the most amazing architecture you may ever feast your eyes on. I have been learning all about it in my art history class at school and was so excited to see it all for myself but alas....that did not exactly happen.....
It was a great early morning watching the sunrise over the valleys on the drive to Córdoba and stopping about halfway for some café con leche (also a new favorite of mine). We had just pulled up to the preserved Ancient Roman bridge to cross over to the mosque and had literally only been standing in front of the mosque door when I realized something. I did not feel well....the pounding of the head, the churning of the stomach and lightheadedness all lead to one thing....it was indeed a migraine!! Let me make the story more dramatic with my added on sound effects: "noooooooo!"I could not focus on a word my professor was saying because at that moment I could care less what this specific type of arch meant or who built it when, I had to get out of there. I found our school director and with teary eyes got out the words that I did not feel well and thought I might puke. Imagine my fear of puking inside of this amazing mosque! That would have also been quite the story to tell. Fortunately we were able to find a bathroom across the street in a bar where I painfully tried to get myself through my awful migraine and throwing up and feeling quite embarrassed that this was actually happening to me. Needless to say, it was quite the long day, I did not see the mosque I had so awaited, and I missed home more than ever before.
My first and last picture of the mosque.... ;)
And so that recaps my last week or so! I know that last part may sound quite graphic and miserable, but I promise I am having the time of my life! This time just happens to come with some great opportunities for growth, being stretched outside of my comfort zone, and having to rely on God to be the only thing that stays constant when everything around me has completely changed.

1 comment: